With Clean Sweeps Of Michigan, You Get A Thorough & Honest Chimney Inspection Every Time
Professional chimney inspections give a look into the health and overall condition of the chimney system that would be otherwise impossible. Snaking closed-circuit cameras along the length of the chimney flue allows us to provide an honest and detailed evaluation, along with visuals. Regardless of whether you’ve used your chimney lately, or even if you plan to use it in the future, annual chimney inspections are an absolute must.
Even if you haven’t used your chimney, animals, insects and other debris can enter your system, leaving behind feces, disease, nesting materials, and even decaying bodies. Not only can these “leftovers” be a nuisance, they can cause chimney blockages and deterioration and pose a serious health, fire and structural hazard. That’s why the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) both recommend annual chimney inspections for all chimneys, regardless of usage. Additionally, the NFPA and CSIA recommend professional chimney inspections:
- Whenever a home is purchased
- Any time there has been a change to any appliance that vents into the chimney
- Any time there has been significant structural work done to the home
- Any time the chimney has been victim to catastrophic weather
Based on your circumstances and concerns, our certified and trained chimney sweeps will perform one of three inspections.
The 3 Levels of Inspection
Clean Sweeps conducts chimney inspections according to the guidelines set by the NFPA. There are three levels of chimney inspections and each level has a specific scope of work for a specific set of conditions.
- Level 1 – A level 1 chimney inspection is the most common type of chimney inspection and is typically appropriate if you have been using your fireplace regularly without any problems or changes. In this inspection, the technician will verify that the chimney structure is sound and free of obstructions or combustible deposits. This is a visual inspection only.
- Level 2 – If you’ve purchased a new home heating appliance, made a change to an existing appliance that is vented through your chimney, or if you suspect that there is damage to your chimney, a Level 2 inspection should be conducted. A Level 2 inspection includes everything in a Level 1 inspection plus a review of any accessible portions of attics, crawl spaces and basements. Your technician will also do an interior chimney video inspection of your chimney during a Level 2 inspection.
- Level 3 – A Level 3 inspection is performed when a hidden hazard is suspected that cannot be uncovered without accessing concealed areas of the chimney structure and flue. This inspection will include everything from the Level 1 and 2 inspections, plus an evaluation of the chimney construction and the concealed portions of the chimney and flue. Level 3 inspections are usually necessary when assessing damage that has occurred to the chimney or to the building structure.
To learn more about inspections, watch this brief video!
Call On Clean Sweeps Of Michigan
Are you ready to schedule your annual chimney inspection? Call us today at 517-529-4453 or click here to schedule an appointment online and one of our expert technicians will help you decide which chimney inspection is appropriate for you.